Be a Scout!
Yellow starthistle is a List 'A' Noxious Weed, which means it has been designated by the Colorado Department of Agriculture for statewide eradication. Mesa County has been coordinating work on a few areas of infestation for nearly 20 years, ridding the plants every year they are found, and patiently waiting for the seed bank to deplete and old seeds to loose viability. For more information on this pesky thistle check out https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/agconservation/yellow-starthistle.
If you are able to join us for a walk along the Coon Creek area to search for this invasive species, see the following:
Tuesday August 4
- Carpool/caravan from the CSU Tri-River Extension Office/Weed & Pest Office at
2775 Hwy 50 - West end of Mesa County Fairgrounds next to the OM Little League fields
- Bring: Comfortable hiking shoes, sunscreen, bug repellent
- Leave parking lot at 8:00 am
- Arrive at Coon Creek area at approximately 8:45 am
- We will break for lunch at approx 12:00 pm. If you would like to bring a sack lunch and join us, you are welcome! Otherwise, this event ends at noon.
- Directions to Coon Creek area/Old Grand Mesa Road available at http://mapq.st/1SJy247
Please RSVP to:
A"second round" may be scheduled at the end of August or beginning of September. Stay tuned for an announcement. Notify us if you are interested.
Event TwoCheck us out!
Information Booth at Orchard Mesa Farmer's Market
Mesa County Noxious Weed & Pest Management is teaming up with the Tamarisk Coalition hosting an information booth at the Orchard Mesa Farmer's Market:
Tuesday August 4 from 5:00 to 8:00 pm
- Mesa County Fairgrounds (Near the west entrance between the Highway 50 and the Grand Stands)
- Bring weeds or pictures of weeds for help in identifying!
- Receive FREE weed identification and management SWAG!!!
For further information contact