Mesa County has launched a nationwide search for a contractor to take over operations of Animal Services.
The Statement of Qualifications was issued Wednesday. Due date for submissions is Oct. 30.
The county is seeking a qualified contractor to provide an approved sheltering facility, all personnel, supplies and equipment to operate Mesa County Animal Services sheltering operations within State of Colorado Pet Animal Care and Facility Act requirements. The county is also seeking a contractor who will maintain existing services.
Mesa County Animal Services is open to the public seven days a week, Monday through Friday from 11 a.m. - 4 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday from 11 a.m. - 1 p.m. In 2014, Animal Services provided shelter for 2,998 pet animals. The daily population was 75 animals.
- Accepts, assesses and shelters stray and owner-released dogs
- Accepts, assesses and shelters cats in need of humane care
- Provides shelter and monitors animals during rabies quarantine
- Prepares animal specimens for rabies testing
- Shelters animals for Dangerous Dog and Animal Cruelty investigations and prosecutions
- Provides humane euthanasia of animals as needed
- Provides a progression and rescue/transfer program that maintains public safety while minimizing euthanasia.
- Provides a spay/neuter voucher program in collaboration with local veterinarians
- Provides a pet licensing program
- Issues and processes animal ordinance violation citations
- Maintains animal, relinquishment and finder documentation necessary for potential prosecution and/or animal care management
- Maintains a current Colorado Department of Agriculture PACFA license and all other licensure required for pharmaceutical use for euthanasia purposes.
- Provides essential support in any animal disaster within the county
Firms that are selected to submit proposals must submit a plan that will focus on maintaining public safety while minimizing euthanasia through rehoming of displaced pets.
To submit a Statement of Qualifications proposal, go to www.rockymountainbidsystem.com.